Let’s celebrate Friday with our favorite Instagram find this week, @theexpeditioners, also know as Roberto Gibbons Gomez. He travels with @expeditionersbella to find the most beautiful sights. Right now, they’re chasing the Northern Lights in Canada for #TheAuroraProject.
1. Capture special moments. @theexpeditioners aren’t afraid of a little public display of affection, but when they do it, they do it right.
Camp 11 on the #TheAuroraProject Pauline Bay, NWT There’s only two ways to get here at this time of year. You either paddle… or get flown by float plane. Just another thing that makes being camped out here with @expeditionersbella so very very special. We paddled here and then got picked up by a couple of Beaver float Planes… Just epic! @manfrottoimaginemore | @blackrapid | @coastportland | @sunskis | @xsories A photo posted by Roberto Gibbons Gomez (@theexpeditioners) on
2. Find something you have in common and take it to the extreme together. These two love paddle boarding in new waters.
There were days of sun… There were days of clouds.. Even a few with rain.. But the one constant were the Northern Lights.. When we arrived in Yellowknife almost a month ago- and told many a local that we were going on a sea kayaking expedition from YK all the way to the East Arm of Great Slave Lake– several told us it was folly.. The water is near freezing, the crossings often leave you several kilometers from shore, and the winds can whip up in the blink of an eye… and we were heading out at a time of year where the weather can be intense…and you know what…in many ways they are right– it is dangerous.. But after ten years of expeditions.. We’re as best prepared as one can be… And the reward?… Wonders in the sky like we’ve never seen before! #TheAuroraProject 📷 @expeditionersbella @westcomb | @blackrapid | @icebreakernz | @neckykayaks | InReachCanada | @goalzero
3. Always have the next big thing planned. Plan a road trip across the country or international trip to another continent or buy tickets for a concert in a different city. Always have the next adventure within reach.
Love + Adventure = ✨ Stealing a kiss from @expeditionersbella on #TheAuroraProject ⛺️ A photo posted by Roberto Gibbons Gomez (@theexpeditioners) on
4. Learn about each other on the road. Travel, get uncomfortable, and see what the other is made of.
On our 2nd night of #TheAuroraProject we decided to have some fun with sparklers… What you don’t carry sparklers around for random celebrations?! Tonight is going to be our 4th night — and I have a feeling the Northern Lights will shine again tonight– follow along on Snapchat in real time:) Expeditioners ExpedsBella @nemoequipment | @westcomb | @blackrapid | #TheAuroraProject
5. Celebrate even the victories – no matter the size. Signed the lease on your first apartment together? Won trivia together? Break out the sparklers.
Last night was incredible. The Northern Lights were bright and colourful. Photos to come tomorrow when we have settled down somewhere in Yellowknife to remove the photos from the cameras.. it was a perfect start to #TheAuroraProject.. And we’re still 400km away from the Northwest Territories! @coastportland | @neckykayaks | @blackrapid | @westcomb A photo posted by Roberto Gibbons Gomez (@theexpeditioners) on
6. Go camping together. Try to track down the perfect spot you can return to together year after year.
I find myself in nature. From the trees that speak through rustled leaves to the timeless skies of wonder. And the sounds! birds, wind, even if falling snow.. And there’s the silence… Sorry cities.. You’ve lost this soul to the wild.. We’ve captured the Northern Lights on 8 nights so far… And actually watching now- so make that 9! Still another 25 nights to go. @expeditionersbella and I took out the sleeping bags to lay outside the tent last night on #TheAuroraProject.. While the night was brisk– it was definitely the right call! @neckykayaks | @westcomb @nemoequipment @goalzero
7. Get lost together. Maybe you’ll find yourselves.
To travel is to take a journey into yourself. Almost every night we go to sleep in the wee hours of the morning on this project… I mean how can you go to sleep when the Aurora is dancing with the moon? ✨🌕🌌 #TheAuroraProject in the Northwest Territories with @expeditionersbella Sponsored by @icebreakernz | @goodtogofoods | @xsories | @suunto | @neckykayaks | @blackrapid | @coastportland | @westcomb A photo posted by Roberto Gibbons Gomez (@theexpeditioners) on
8. Watch the sunset and sunrise together within the same day. Stay up late talking and wake up early to continue the conversations.
9. Take time to appreciate what’s around you. Introduce each other to places that are special to you. Find new places to explore together.
Collect moments. Not things. Can you believe I captured this with a @gopro ? Yup! with a #Hero4Black on a @manfrottoimaginemore tripod👌 #theauroraproject | #gopro A photo posted by Roberto Gibbons Gomez (@theexpeditioners) on
10. Experience new things together. Make a list of things you want to do together before the year ends and take the challenge to complete every single one. This couple just does it.
In every darkness look for the light… And if you can’t find it.. Make your own⛺️ We had magically speckled skies on our adventure to the Magdalen Islands.. Discover this hidden gem in our latest episode of #LifeIsCalling… You’re bound to find some inspiration … or win a #jeep 😉 @discoverycanada | @jeepca
11. Even in darkness, look for the light. If you can’t find it, make your own.